Thursday, January 20, 2011

Its a NEW YEAR!!!

Its a new year and I am accepting it with open arms! I think I will count February as my new start since January has not kick off exactly as planned. This last year has been a whirl wind in every sense of the word. For me it started January 1 of last year. I went on a trip with Clint to Vegas and got really sick. Super dizzy etc. Got home and it went away for about a week then hit even harder. Then went away then hit again hard. Clint of course was out of town so I had to crawl (no lie) to my moms next door for her to drive me to the Dr. Turned out I had Vertigo. Since January of 2010 I think I have had it like 10 times. NOT FUN!!

Then to top that my colitis got a little out of control this last year. I have gone about 4 or 5 years with out any flare ups. Feeling really good about life then last year it got really bad ended up with another colonoscopy luckily it has only spread a little and is still maintainable with meds. And hugely to what I eat. Some days can be unbearable! I just hope that I can maintain it enough through my life so that I do not go through what my Dad did. He too had Ulcerative Colitis and it got so bad he had to have his whole large intestine removed. You would never know it now because he is such a stud and so active!!

Just when you think I am done. Then..... I threw my shoulder/arm out of whack! So bad I could not even run. How I did it is pretty funny. In the Fall around our house there are a lot of water snakes. Well there was a big one on my moms porch and some little kids came over to buy pumpkins I did not want them to get scared so I hurry and grabbed the snake and threw it back into the orchard and SNAP...there went my shoulder. So so painful. It hurt down my back up into my neck. Many drugs and Dr. visits later and I am on the uphill!
I don't want to sound like I am complaining because I very well know things could always be worse. Just want to look back and see what has happened in life.

I know they say trials make us stronger people. I am also aware that every one's trials are different. We can all handle different obstacles and we all handle them differently. I too know how extremely lucky I am to have the support around me that I do! I could not have gone through some of these times with out the support from my family and friends.

So yes I am so ready for a new year! This last year took a little bit of a toll on my body. But in saying that crazy as this sounds I swear I am in better shape now then I was at 16! Since about April of last year I got serious about my food to go along with my work outs. And no I don't mean dunford doughnuts and smart cookies. I can say I have lost 22+ lbs and have kept it off. Give or take a few lbs here and there. (thanks to the long Christmas break) Once again excited to get back on track and start fresh!

I am not a new years resoluter who writes down a list of goals for the year. I do however try and be really aware of what I want to work on through out the year. Here are a few...

*Keep up on the running. Learn how I can improve. This is a big one for me especially since I have some marathon/relays coming up! Which brings me back to the Colitis I hope that I can get it back under control before my first race which is in March or else!
*Be even better about what I am putting into my body. And making sure my cheat treats are worth the cheat. Which we know smart cookies always are!
*Giving myself more time and not feeling guilty for it. Not being so hard on myself.
*Being better at just playing with the kids. When they say "Mom can you play uno for the fiftieth time" Ill say yes. The cleaning can wait!
*Pay closer attention to my surroundings. Including people and things. What makes me happy and what needs to be kicked to the curb!!
*Quit over analyzing what I do or say. In other words work on not being so insecure in some departments and just going for it.
*Making sure those around me know how much I love them. I know how fast and furious life is and I want to be more giving of myself. Making sure I give credit where credit is due. I want to have no regrets in this department!
This is last but not least.. Slowwww down! I hurry with everything! Does not mean I don't give 100 percent, I just do it in a hurry. I really need to work on this!

That's about it. I know this is going to be a good year! Because it just has to be!!

6 comments:

Duncahoo said...

It seriously was an insane year all the way around. I am so thankful for our friendship and that we get to go through the ups and downs together. I would be lost without you! Bring on a new year for us both! XOXOXO

HaleyandGabe said...

I love you so much you will just never know!! you are the best sister, friend, aunt, smart cookie, dunford donut eating chic anyone could ask for!!

I LOVE YOU LOTS AND LOTS!

Jenn said...

Wow Shannon! I had no idea that you went through all that! I cant even imagine how awful the vertigo 10 times was. That would truely be my nightmare!! Also I love all your things to work on. I want to do the quit over analyzing too! We are way to hard on ourselves. I think I need to try that stuff your using. Im going to look into it! This year is going to be better for everyone I hope! :)

Sunshine said...

You are amazing!! You are such an inspiration to me in pretty much all aspects of life.
I just want to dido your resolutions for this year.
We have a lot to look forward to!

Scott, Mandi and the boys said...

You are such an amazing and strong woman!! I am thankful to call you my "friend" and that we have remained close over all these years!! Could not imagine life without you in it!! xoxoxo

Rebecca said...

Hi, Shannon. This is your cousin, Becky Dean Langford in Oregon. I have been enjoying your blog, your family pictures and wishing I lived closer so I could know your family better.

I read that you have had some bouts with vertigo. I hae had the same problem off and on for several years and finally had some testing done that told me what it is, what causes it and how to keep it under control. If you still need some information on it, please let me know and I'll share.

Love you,
Becky
rebecca2889@gmail.com