Friday, September 2, 2011

Bruins vs. Tigers...grrrrrrr

 Game one in the books.  We lost 20-0.  I won't go into all the politics and hooplah that goes into sports.  Let's just say I was not aware of how much worse it has gotten since I have played.  Orem scored all three goals the first half.  Yes our first half was a little sloppy.  The second half we shut them down.  We have had two weeks of practice.  Orem has recruited and has been practicing since last winter and through the Spring indoors.   Really given those numbers it should have been worse. Enough said!

I have said this first game would be a make it or break it for Gage.  Meaning after the solid two weeks of practicing and now it being game time if he did not have fun this was it.  Also him being one of the smallest he knows he has got to be on it and SUPER SPEEDY! Which his coaches see in him being in the positions they have him playing. This is Gage's first year ever playing football.  Its all so new to him.  I could tell he was so nervous and a little unsure out there.  All I can say is that we could not be more proud of him.

Within the first 15 minutes he got sandwiched HARD!   Let me also add Orem has some BIG kids on the team.  It was like slow motion watching it.  We all cringed and I thought to myself this is it he is done!  I really thought he would be so over it.  This has been one of his biggest fears.  When I saw him get up without hesitation and go back on the field I will not lie It took everything in me to hold back the water works.  I am tearing up now typing this.  I have never been so proud of him.  To face his fears and just do it! He got hit a couple more times real good and kept going. He played the rest of the game only coming out once!   When we got home and were talking about the game he said he hurt but that he just kept telling himself to do it for the team and his coach.  Which made me even more proud that he gets what sports is all about.  Not just the game but what it takes to make a team, to be a team player and most importantly how to loose gracefully and still keep your head up..  

I know nothing about football.  Thankfully those around me do for my constant what was that, who did what, wheres the ball, etc...  They say it builds leadership, discipline, team work, builds confidence etc.  I can say I have seen that now. I can see a change in Gage these last three weeks for the better.  He seems so grown up.  I know he has never had to work so hard before.  By the end of the first week he was ready to be done.  Then the next Monday he got up and went and gave it his all and has not stopped.  I see him come home beyond tired and get up the next day to do it again.  I have seen him show up for practice not feeling so hot and by the end throwing up and the whole time he gave it his all.  He has not quit!!  As a mother I can say this has been such an example to me.  There are times in my life I want to quit and be done.  Now I will quickly think of him and hopefully think differently!  On our way home from practice last night out of the blue he said to me "thank you for always being there for me."  He will never know how much those words meant to me.  It melted me from the inside out. 

Have I mentioned how cute these kids are in uniform.  Especially when games and practices are over and they are covered in dirt and sweat.  Who new dirt, stink and sweat could be cute?  Have I also mentioned how HARD it is to take football pictures.  This will be a challenge!


 A little motivational speech during a water break.. focus, focus, focus...

 Jaiden in the air going for the kill.  He also gave some good hits and took a couple as well!  He did awesome!

 Coach Rich...  I have to say we lucked out on the coaches, they are amazing in every way possible!


I am so aware that my punctuation sucks.   I really don't care! I am all over the place but I have a lot going in my head and trying to get it down as best as I can.

6 comments:

Duncahoo said...

OMG! I am so proud of them and they are not even mine! Cant wait to see them play and to see some other things too!!!

Scott, Mandi and the boys said...

I am so doing this for Karter next year. He needs this. I love you and your cute family!! I've got to get karter to a game!!!

Sunshine said...

Gage is so tough and has heart.
I LOVE that we get to be football mom's together. I hope we get to grow up with this team & coaches.

You got some good pictures! Can't wait for the next game :)

Cole and Ashli Wilson said...

Love them!!!! Miss you guys!!!

The Mills said...

Nice shirt Clint! Lol

dayofmine said...

Thats awesome that you take so many photos to document them growing up. :)