My first marathon.....where to start? Most people probably start there marathons first with 5k or 10k etc. I think its funner to start with 186 mile relays and half's. Just kidding, but for some reason that is exactly how I have started. Its crazy how this is one thing I can cross off my bucket list that I did not know was part of my bucket list! I guess just because I have never been a runner. Other then in softball growing up but even getting around the bases back then sucked. I hated to run!
I knew I would be running the Moab half back in December so I had a few months to get ready. But before I knew it March was here and I can honestly say I did not train like I should have. I knew I would not quit just was not sure how it would all pan out. Its amazing what your body can do! Especially with the right amount of carb loading preperation. hahahaha (yes Clint, smart cookies and dunford doughnuts)
Haley, Ris, Sun and I left on Friday to head down to pick up packets and get a good pasta dinner of course! Haley was like a kid in a candy store pre race. It was her first one as well and has been so excited! Saturday morning I think we were already to get this done.
The morning of the race was so so windy. I was a little nervous. Then people kept talking about this big hill that comes up around mile 9 so get ready. Up hill is not my bag. So that started to mess with me. We were off and of course see ya later Haley! Sun Ris and I ran together for the first couple of miles then lost Sun. Ris and I stayed with each other til the end. Other then the wind at times ready to blow you off the road for the first half the weather could not have been more perfect! I don't know if it was what I ate, gu's, shot blocks, ba's, the junk the day before or what but I felt so good from the time the race started until I finished. Usually when Ris and I head out for our runs it takes a couple of miles to get into a groove. Not the case this day. We were half way through before I knew it. The course and the scenery were both amazing. We took it pretty easy until we saw the hill which was by the way not that big of deal! Then we pushed it the last 3 miles or so!
My results were: Final: 1hour 58minutes....chip final 1hour 57 min....my overall pace was 8:57...class rank 87 out of 895.......There was a total of 5000 people that ran this between the 5k and the half. I got to say I was pumped!! I had no expectations going in. Just to finish. Thought it would be cool to break 2 hours but did not want to set myself up. Haley did it in 1 hour and 46 minutes!! Holy smoked it. She is upset that it was not 1 hour and 45 minutes! She is crazy.. I am happy with my times. It was my first marathon and I have had issues with my hip and shoulder and they are both feeling really good so I did not want to mess anything up. Now having ran that course I know that all of us could easily beat our times.
When we crossed the finish line my first thoughts were NEVER AGAIN! As cool as the course was I was thinking once is enough. Now that I have been home I got to say I will do it again!! For one its a good way to keep in shape knowing that you got a race coming up and for two well I don't know what reason number two is! I know I need a redo for the Halloween half because I could not run it because of my shoulder so for sure that one is on the list. Other then that who
knows?? My only regret was not taking my camera with me up to the top. I got plenty of us eating and messing around!. Next time ill be more prepared!!
Can I just say how much I LOVE my bright orange shoes! And these girls do not mess around when it comes to the proper mixing of Ice cream!! Looks pretty serious...
All smiles....its all over!!
I really hope that in 40 more years we are all still running together!




6 comments:
I know what reason #2 is.....the FIESTA post race for 9 days!!!!bahahaha!
I think the reason we have so many eating pics is cause that took up 80% of the time and running the rest. Haley and I mean business with our ice cream! I am proud of all of us and we will for sure be running together for the next 40!
That is so awesome! I love your shoes BTW, I always love bright colors!
I'm SO glad we did it!
That run is my favorite I've been so motivated to run more since Moab.
I'm for sure in for the next 40 years (at least)
Shannon!! Im so excited for you! That is AWESOME time! Especially for your first! I give you HUGE props, I definitely cant do that...ok not necessarily CANT I choose NOT to run right now haha. I admire the dedication it took for all of you!! You guys are too cute!
LOOOVVEE the shoes*
Good job ladies!! You and Haley look great!!
Post a Comment