Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hobble Creek half marathon...should have stayed in bed!

 Wish I could say that I loved this race.  I had drove the course previously and was excited.  It is really pretty!  But that was not the case!

I have NEVER slept through an alarm! In 7 years of running NEVER ever!! Even when my alarms have not gone off my internal one does.  Not today.  I was supposed to be up by 4 am to get ready to leave by 4:50.  Instead I woke up to my dog barking and Haley, Ris and Sun knocking on my door!  My alarm did not go off!!  Now I am flying through my house trying to get ready.  I felt a little sick in the car but figured my belly would settle and it was just from running around.  We get there and the race starts 25 minutes late which from what I hear is normal for this race.  It usually takes me a couple miles to get into a groove but for the life of me I could not get into one today!  By mile 8 my hip/butt was hurting pretty bad and my belly was NOT feeling good!  Had to stop and try and stretch it a bit.  Picked up my speed again but around mile 11 I had hit a HUGE wall stretched one more time and gave it all I could give to cross the finish line!  By the time I was done my palms were sweating no dripping!!  I barely made it home and was toilet to toilet the rest of the day!  Sorry to much info but it is what it is!!

My results: 1:50 minutes
354 out of 1200 I think?
62 out of 184 in my age group

So I beat my old time by about 8 minutes.  On one hand I am just glad I finished but on the other hand I keep thinking I should have done so much better!  I keep asking myself why I sign up for these things.  But really I know.  It is nice to push yourself to do something and it is a way to keep me in shape and to keep going.  I have an awesome support system at home and the most fabulous people ever to run with.  That part alone makes a world of difference!! 
This picture is missing Sunshine..



4 comments:

Scott, Mandi and the boys said...

I still can't believe this story from you telling me the other day!! I guess everyone has a off day, sucks yours was on your race day!! I'm glad your feeling better.

HaleyandGabe said...

you say you stopped around mile 8?? did you happen to smell anything? bahahahahah.......can't wait for REDROCK!! GO PINK TACOS!

Duncahoo said...

We will all be doing a re-do! I may be big and fat but I'll get er done!
TACOS! TACOS! TACOS!

DeGrey Family said...

Good for you. That is a great time especially if you were feeling under the weather. I aspire to be as fast as you guys one day. You did an Amazing job sticking with it.